Tuesday, March 6, 2012

After dark

This is my first fiction by Haruki Murakami. Since I’m living in Tokyo it made me look at some things in a different perspective. For me it showed a different side of this elegant city, the side of the city that no one would ever discuss in Japan. The book also touches the complexities in Japanese society such as the enormous amount of stress levels of Japanese salary men and the higher expectations and lower satisfaction of Japanese parents with their children's achievements. The writer was also trying to talk about the dark side of human beings. It was a good read but it felt more like reading a short story. I am a passive reader who is more in to the story and the plot rather than all the hidden metaphors. Therefore I am not fully satisfied with the book.