Monday, March 5, 2012

100 years of solitude


I truly believe that this book is highly overrated. This is considered one of the best books in the last century but reading it was a tormenting experience. I can’t believe I finished the book. The only thing that kept me going was the fact that it’s considered a master piece. Maybe I’m too dumb to understand the content. Of course there were jewels on the way and Gabriel García Márquez is a truly gifted writer. I was enthralled by “Love in the time of cholera” but this is nowhere near that.
The most annoying thing about reading the book was remembering the names of the characters who had given the same name. It got on my nerves most of the time. Sometimes the book reminded me of those dull Indian Soap operas in which the grandma never dies. On the other hand there were some pieces that were mind blowing but mostly the whole experience was quite depressing.