Saturday, September 22, 2012

If no one responds to your call walk alone




Indian music has always been close to my heart, probably because I had been watching Hindi movies since I was 9 years old and have never missed to watch a single Hindi blockbuster movie that was released until I came to Japan. My Hindi listening comprehension is much better than that of Japanese even without having taken a single class.
This song is special for many reasons. The lyrics of this song are written by one of my favorite authors Rabindranath Tagore who authored my favorite book Gora. This song is written in Bengali which is one of the most beautiful languages in the world. It is a song that was written to motivate people in freedom struggle of India. It is said to be one of the songs that inspired Mahathama Gandhi. Above all this is sung by Shriya Goshal who is my favorite singer, who is in my opinion the best Indian singer the world has scene in this age. All those reasons make this euphonious. I was simply charmed by this celestial music. For me it is the perfect combination of lyrics, singing and music.
There’s a another version of the same song composed in Hindi by A.R. Rahman but I prefer the original that is sung in Bengali.
English Translation
“If no one responds to your call walk alone.
If they are afraid and cower mutely facing the wall,
O thou unlucky one,
open thy mind and speak out alone.
If they turn away, and desert you when crossing the wilderness,
O thou unlucky one,
trample the thorns under thy tread,
and along the blood-lined track travel alone.
If they do not hold up the light when the night is troubled with storm,
O thou unlucky one,
with the thunder flame of pain ignite thy own heart
and let it burn alone.”
- Wikipedia
May this be an inspiration to anyone who is holding back from taking the right path by themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment